The Red-footed Booby chase to Victoria
On Sunday Sept 6-2026, Nathan Hentze found a second cycle dark morph Red-Footed Booby on Race Rocks in Victoria. This was during an Eagle Wing x Rocky Point Bird Observatory trip. I used to take the young birders on trips to Race Rocks. One of the first ever pelagic trips I did with them was to there and we had a Red Phalarope and all 3 species of Jaegers. You can read about that trip here.
I went along with some friends and chartered a boat and we saw the bird. The weather was gorgeous and the seas were flat calm. I missed the only other rare birds on the trip, some Sabine’s Gulls but all of my focus was on the Red-footed Booby (RFBO). I have seen thousands of these birds before in Hawaii but I never tire of them. Hawaii has mostly white morphs but you do see dark morphs there too. There are more dark morphs in Mexico and the Galapagos. This bird likely came from Mexico due to the El Niño that is currently happening. We have had a huge influx of Sulids in BC and WA because of it including Nazca, Cocos, Masked and Red-footeds. We have also had the same effect with Elegant Terns, which I hope soon to connect with. These birds are all searching for food.
The Red-footed Booby was #466 for me for BC and #501 for Canada.
This Red-footed Booby is the second record for BC and third for Canada and the first chase-able one in Canada. I went and saw a Red-footed Booby that my friend Steve Hampton found 2 years ago in Port Townsend and WA currently has one now in Westport.
Ever since that first RFBO showed up off Haida Gwaii on a fishing vessel in 2018 it’s been one of my most wanted birds for the province, so it was so cool to finally get it!
It is really nice to see so many birders getting this bird in Victoria. Birders from Ontario and AB have been out to see it and the longer it stays the more will come. The cool thing is even whale watching boats are making stops to see this bird and doing dedicated trips so chartering a boat isn’t even necessary.
![]() |
| Red-footed Booby in Victoria - Photos: Melissa Hafting |





Congratulations, Mel. I think I saw a photo or two of the one in Washington. I don't comment often but I do read all of your trip reports and see your awesome photos.
ReplyDeletethanks Jim! hope you are well!
DeleteWell done, Mel. Lovely photos!
ReplyDeletethank you Q!
Delete