8 PAIRS OF PURPLE MARTINS NOW USING MY NEST BOXES AT GARRY POINT!!!!

Updated on July 3, 2023*

I am so thrilled to report that the nestbox colony I set up at Garry Point Park in Richmond now has 8 nesting pairs of Purple Martins!!! This has happened incredibly fast and I am overcome with happiness. I wish I could share this news with my dad! I hope it attracts even more birds in this year and the next!

To read about the installation process and the 3 years it took for me to get approval head here and here.

Thanks again to Rob Lyske for helping me by building the boxes after being hired by the City of Richmond, John Reynolds for lending me his boat for the installation. Thanks to the City of Richmond and Rich Kenny and city councillor Carol Day and thanks to ECCC and DFO and the Vancouver Port Authority agreeing to let me help out this blue-listed species.

Purple Martins at Garry Point Park in Richmond - Photos: Geoff McDonell

Purple Martins at Garry Point Park - Photos: Geoff McDonell

You can watch a couple videos of them by Kate Paton below:

QR code info sign placed at Garry Point Park - Photo: Melissa Hafting

Comments

  1. Fantastic to see such great results in such a short period!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much can't believe 8 pairs already very happy for that!

      Delete
  2. PacificnorthwestkateJune 5, 2023 at 5:43 AM

    This is fantastic news Melissa!! Congratulations and well done!! Thank you for trying so hard for birds welfare!! You’re an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PacificnorthwestkateJune 6, 2023 at 4:54 AM

    Thank you for sharing my video Melissa!! It was so wonderful to see and hear them!! I didn’t think they’d move in to your new boxes so fast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course it is a great video and yes I'm amazed it happened so fast but happy

      Delete
  4. These nest boxes are beautiful, and that they've been occupied so quickly is so neat. I've been listening to the Purple Martins and watching them out there as we are rehearsing for an upcoming performance in front of the nest boxes :) It's really neat timing, since our piece is called, For Ghosts and Swallows. One of the main characters in this storytelling piece is a Violet-green Swallow. And then there are vocal moments that are inspired by swallows, too. (It's with Richmond Art Gallery, on June 21st)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Dowitcher Identification

Hawk Identification Tips from every angle (Sharpie vs Cooper and Red-tailed Subspecies)

STINT IDENTIFICATION

*Updated - The most famous Red-tailed Hawk is eating fish on the ground just like a Bald Eagle!

*UPDATED* The First Ever Black Birders Week May 31-June 5th