The 2017 issue of Birder's Guide to Listing & Taxonomy is out now! 2 interesting podcasts and please donate to help birds affected by the hurricane.

If you aren't an ABA member and don't get a mailed copy, you can read it all online HERE

Have fun updating your list totals!

2 podcasts that you might find interesting are posted below. I have said how photography has made me a better birder and enriched my life. You get to study that bird for much more than the average birder because you sit there and sometimes spend a few hours with your subject. You learn its movements, foraging behavior and try to bring out its beauty on camera. Digital Cameras now make all the difference if a bird is accepted by a record committee or not. In BC a provincial first cannot be accepted without a photo. The good thing about digital images is that first it is cheaper than film and you notice key field marks and can review them on your computer when you get home. It definitely enhances a birding experience. I only started taking bird photos in 2014 before that I took record shots with a point and shoot camera. I never ever thought I would spend thousands of dollars on lenses and cameras and actually enjoy spending hours photographing birds! I never thought I would have the patience! I now only shoot manual and couldn't live without my camera.

I notice that some young and adult birders are neglecting to pick up bins and use a camera as a sort of binocular,  this I disagree with. You must have binoculars to look at and study a bird, looking through a camera lens to view a bird in the field is just not adequate enough in my opinion.

However, combining photography with your birding skills/tools can make you a better birder. Photographing birds ethically can take a lot of patience and waiting around but when you get the shot you desire, it is really worth it. To be out with your subject for an extended period of time noting everything about a bird can truly be a life changing experience. Birders and Photographers notoriously sometimes do not get along (usually over concerns of harassment, trespassing and baiting) but when photography is done ethically, birders should embrace it.With beautiful photography, the photographers will attract other birders to the field because they will want to see, learn about and photograph stunning birds as well.

I have heard this statement by Paul Jepson: "Birding is akin to stalking but photo-birding seems to require the aptitudes of the angler." Now not all birders just tick and run but that quote is very true to me. I truly feel that photography (if you like it) can deeply enrich your birding experience.

The second podcast is very valuable. Since, I am the creator of the young birder field program in BC, I feel very passionate about mentoring youth and bringing them fully into the birding community as equals.

I hope you will enjoy the below podcats.

How photography has changed birding 

Why it's important to embrace Youth in the birding community.

If you are able please donate to help birds affected by the hurricanes, particularly Irma and Maria. There are in need of a lot of help. Please do what you can by clicking to donate HERE.

You can read about how the birds are fairing and the rehab work that Birds Carribean are doing HERE. The video below was taken in Cuba in Sept 2017, showing the heartbreaking reality that the birds there are facing. Viewer discretion is advised.


Comments

Popular Posts

Dowitcher Identification

Hawk Identification Tips from every angle (Sharpie vs Cooper and Red-tailed Subspecies)

STINT IDENTIFICATION

*Updated - The most famous Red-tailed Hawk is eating fish on the ground just like a Bald Eagle!

*UPDATED* The First Ever Black Birders Week May 31-June 5th