This summer I went off
to Portugal, Spain and Norway. I first flew to Faro
via Dublin. I was going to spend a week
in the Algarve region of Southern Portugal. It was very balmy and warm when I
got off the plane. I stayed in a town called Albufeira. I was a bit worried about all the
alarm about Europe running out of fuel due to the war in Iran but thankfully
had no issues.
At my hotel I
was surprised by just how many birds I was able to see on the hotel grounds.
There was White Wagtails, Yellow-legged Gulls, the cool looking Common Hoopoes,
Iberian and Eurasian Magpies, Eurasian Kestrels, curious Eurasian Jays, Cattle Egrets eating the noisy Iberian Water Frogs, Western
House-Martins, Eurasian Blackbirds, elegant looking Spotless Starlings, European Red-rumped
Swallows, Eurasian Linnets, European Greenfinches and Sardinian Warblers
singing constantly. I really enjoyed watching the beautiful Iberian Magpies as they travelled in small flocks and made a noisy ruckus. They like all jays had so much personality. Also at night, a Little Owl was on my balcony which was cool.
 |
| Eurasian Jays were super curious in the Algarve region of Portugal - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Common (Eurasian) Hoopoe in Albufeira, Portugal - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Eurasian Blackbird in Algarve region of Portugal - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Sardinian Warbler in Albufeira, Portugal - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Sardinian Warbler in Albufeira, Portugal - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
|
 |
| Yellow-legged Gulls nest right on the resort grounds - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Yellow-legged Gull in Albufeira, Portugal - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
|
 |
| Yellow-legged Gulls nest at the resorts in Albufeira, Portugal - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
 |
Iberian Water Frogs (Perez's Frog) were a fave food of Cattle Egrets in Albufeira - Photo: M. Hafting
|
 |
| Iberian Magpies really seemed to be having fun on the resort grounds - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| European Red-rumped Swallows were numerous in Albufeira, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Spotless Starlings have a elegance to them. Taken in Albufeira - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Western Cattle Egret in Albufeira loved eating Perez's frogs - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
On the next day, I
went to Castro Verde and on the roads and highways everywhere you see large
White Storks in their huge stick nests and most of them had young in the nests. Many are walking in fields foraging for food too. The golden plains of Castro Verde (barley and wheat) and empty roads were just a beautiful landscape. I enjoyed the solitude and birding it so much.
 |
| White Stork in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
At Castro Verde I saw my life Montagu’s Harrier. It was a beautiful male. I
also saw some Black Kites and Carrion Crows, Crested Larks, European Stonechats,
Zitting Cisticolas and many Corn Buntings. Corn Buntings have dramatically
declined across Europe but seem to be holding on here in this protected area of Portugal.
 |
| Corn Bunting in Castro Verde, Portugal - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Crested Lark in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
At Vale Conçalinho (a nature education centre) in Castro
Verde, I was able to see my lifer Lesser Kestrels. They really sound different
from our American Kestrels or Eurasian Kestrels. They are visually stunning and
are colonial nesters which differs from the other kestrels again. They depend on man-made nest boxes to survive now and are declining across their range in Europe. I was happy to see them later in my trip in Spain as well. I also had
large flocks of Eurasian Jackdaws and some Pallid Swifts here.
 |
| Lesser Kestrels in Castro Verde, Portugal - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
Walking the trails here I was also able to hear my lifer
Common Quails and had beautiful Black-bellied Sandgrouse and Eurasian
Spoonbills fly over me! I had only seen Chestnut-bellied Sandgrouse before this and
never the spoonbills. There were beautiful European Bee-eaters about they are
so brilliant in their colours but I was surprised how shy they were they didn’t
like to pose for cameras. Bee-eaters nest colonially in sandy banks and sometimes beekeepers illegally plug their nesting holes, because they blame the birds for eating their bees.
 |
| European Bee-eater in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
I got to see the regional specialty there the
beautiful and large Calandra Lark. It had a beautiful song and diagnostic
flight pattern. The Crested Larks and Corn Buntings littered the roads and
fence lines.
 |
| Corn Bunting in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
Eurasian Griffons (vultures) flew over me and they really
have a unique flight style. I was impressed by their large size. It seemed like
raptor heaven there because right after I saw the Griffons, a Short-toed
Snake-Eagle flew over. There was also Common Buzzards. The raptors were riding
the thermals and the sky was clear and they weren’t too high up allowing for
good views.
Next, I went to Merendas Park in Castro Verde. Here I got
my lifer Spanish Sparrow. It was nesting at the bottom of a very large White
Stork stick nest! It was cool to see two nests in one structure! Spanish
Sparrows looks similar to House Sparrows but more elegant. I also saw Western
Marsh Harriers here and Great Crested Grebes, and Eurasian Coots.
 |
| Male Spanish Sparrow at his nest inside the nest of a White Stork - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
On these roads in Castro Verde, it was all arid farmland and
I saw nary a soul. It was really nice and peaceful way to bird. It can get
really hot out there though. On the road I had some very pretty Woodchat
Shrikes (with their red caps and striking black masks) and Iberian and Eurasian
Magpies. I had a Cetti’s Warbler singing near the Cobres River.
 |
Woodchat Shrike in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting
|
At Açude da
Apariça Reserve I had a Great Spotted Woodpecker fly right down on a fence post
beside my car. The reason why Corn Buntings are holding on here is because the
area is a Special Protection Area of Castro Verde so the land is kept well with
minimum disturbance to nesting grassland birds. I met some researchers out
there studying the Montagu’s Harrier. Portugal is where the most western
population of this species resides.
 |
| Montagu's Harrier in flight at Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
Montagu's Harrier in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting
|
|
In São Marcos da Ataboeira, I saw a pair
of Western Black-eared Wheatears. It was my first time seeing this species. I
went up to the old pretty church at Nossa Senhora de Aracelis to have a good
view of all the fields below me. There I saw a large flock of 40 Spanish
Sparrows! They are different than our House Sparrows as they travel in large
murmuring flocks even bigger than this!
 |
Western Black-eared Wheatear in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting
|
I also got to see 30 Eurasian Griffons feeding on a carcass in a field which was neat. There were also White-bellied Barn Swallows and Spotless Starlings and Eurasian Collared-Doves about. I also had a beautiful Booted Eagle fly low over me, showing all its field marks.
 |
| Booted Eagle in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
On the
side of the road, as I was leaving, I saw my first European Roller too! Man, they
are gorgeous with their vibrant colours. One was sitting beside a European
Bee-eater and I thought to myself, that these are 2 of the prettiest birds in
Europe. The European Roller reminded me of the Indian Rollers I had seen in
Thailand. It is the only Roller that breeds in Europe. They do impressive aerial acrobatics during courtship and fly 10,000 kms to their wintering grounds in Africa. It may not be as impressive as Northern Wheatears who fly 14,000 kms from Alaska to Africa but impressive nonetheless.
 |
| European Warbler in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
On all the roads there was
so many storks and the cities and governments build platforms for the storks so
they stay off the electrical telephone wires. The storks seem to really take to
them. They have deterrents on all the telephone poles and wires. In Santa
Bárbara de Padrões PT-Alentejo, I saw a Spanish Eagle nest where the adults
were feeding live young. They are an impressive beautiful eagle like our Golden
Eagles except with a white patch on the shoulder. I was really happy to stumble on this nest as
I followed an adult with my bins as it was carrying food and I thought it was
just going into the tree to eat it but it went to a nest! These eagles are rare
and only breed in Spain and Portugal. The nest was super far away so only got a terrible record shot of the adult flying in.
 |
| Record shot of a Spanish Eagle in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
There were also more Lesser Kestrels
flying around, which was a treat and the very numerous Black Kites.
 |
| Black Kite in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
The next day I was off to
the famous birding area called Ria Formosa Natural Park in Faro. En route, in Olhão, I saw some Common Swifts, which look very
similar to Pallids; except Common are darker brown and they sound so different.
Commons literally sound like they are screaming. I found this blog post extremely helpful in identifying the
two in Spain and Portugal.
I loved the Algarve area
and the birds at Ria Formosa. I started at Ribeirinho Poente Park in Olhão. Here I saw Common Shelducks, Black-winged
Stilts with young, Pied Avocets with young, Black-Bellied Plovers, Kentish
Plovers, Common Ringed Plovers, Eurasian European Whimbrels, Green Sandpipers,
Ruddy Turnstones, Sanderling and Dunlin! This was just the shorebirds. It was
truly a shore birder's dream!
 |
| Pied Avocet chicks in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
Adult Pied Avocet in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting
|
 |
Kentish Plover in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting
|
 |
Black-winged Stilt in Ria Formosa, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting
|
 |
| Ruddy Turnstone in Faro - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Common Shelduck in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
I also saw
a few beautiful Eurasian Spoonbills up close. Their underbills and throat patch have a gorgeous yellow colour against their black spoon shaped bills! The tips of their bills also have yellow and they have a gorgeous crest at the back of their crown.
 |
Eurasian Spoonbill at the Ria Formosa in Faro, PT - Photos: Melissa Hafting
|
There were also dozens and dozens
of Little Terns with young. I also had Black-headed and Lesser Black-backed
Gulls and my first Greater Flamingos. There were Little Egrets, White Storks,
Sardinian Warblers, Common Waxbills, and the beautiful Iberian Western Yellow
Wagtails who had young!
 |
Greater Flamingo in Faro, PT - Photos: Melissa Hafting
|
 |
| Male Sardinian Warbler in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Little Egret at the Ria Formosa in Faro, PT - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Western Yellow Wagtail (Iberian Subspecies) - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
Female Western Yellow Wagtail (Iberian) carrying nesting material - Photo: Melissa Hafting
|
 |
| Little Terns in Faro, PT - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
Next, I went to Marinha do
Grelha where I saw more nesting Black-winged Stilts and Pied Avocets. I also
had 2 Common Redshanks and all the same shorebirds at the other location
including Sanderling and more Little Terns and a flock of over 30 Greater Flamingoes
with young birds up close. The young are much paler than the adults but the
adults are not half as colourful as American Flamingoes or the Chilean
Flamingos I saw in Argentina and Chile. There were plenty of Crested Larks here
too which I loved. They are pretty cool looking and sound nice as well.
 |
| Juvenile Greater Flamingos at Ria Formosa - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Common Redshank at Ria Formosa - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Kentish Plover, Common Ringed Plovers, Dunlin and Sanderling in PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Little Tern at Ria Formosa - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Adult Pied Avocet at Ria Formosa - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Pied Avocet at Ria Formosa - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
I was then off to Quinta
do Lago in Faro. It is a very scenic area on the water with very expensive
houses mostly owned by UK homeowners. There are nice boardwalks here to bike on
and lots of birds. I was hoping for the Common Chameleon but came up empty.
They are rare and not easy to find. I did enjoy photographing a Common Hoopoe on someone's lawn and a tame Iberian Magpie. These Eurasian Hoopoes are in decline due to over-hunting in Southern Europe and Asia and loss of their habitat. The Iberian Magpies had to have been fed here, as they were behaving like Canada Jays, landing on the hands of visitors, which I had not seen elsewhere in Portugal. There was also European Serins on the trees and lawns which was a lifer for me.
 |
The pretty landscape at Quinta do Lago in Faro - Photo: Melissa Hafting
|
 |
| Eurasian Hoopoe in Faro, PT - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Iberian Magpie in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Iberian Magpie in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| European Serin in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
It is also a great spot for the Audouin’s
Gull, which I did find! It is a great spot here with an observation tower and
bird hide over a freshwater lake. Off the beach I saw the very rare Audouin’s
Gull. There are really regional birds and an elegant gull resemble a bit like
our Heermann’s Gulls. There were also the common Yellow-legged Gulls. The
Audouin’s Gulls would leave the salt water and go bathe in the freshwater lake
and there I counted 20 and had great views and photos.
 |
Audouin's Gull in Faro, PT - Photos: Melissa Hafting
|
 |
| Audouin's Gull in Faro, PT - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
 |
Audouin's Gull in Faro, PT - Photos: Melissa Hafting
|
There on the lake, I also
got my lifer Little Bitterns! I ended up with 7 of them and was mystified by how
quickly these tiny bitterns could completely disappear within the reeds - without
a trace!
 |
| Adult Little Bittern in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Juv Little Bittern in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
The lake was full of Common Pochards making funny sounds and some
Little Grebes. I also saw Common Wood-Pigeons and Eurasian Moorhens on the
nearby golf course. On the beach there were Common Ringed Plovers and Dunlin in
spectacular breeding plumage. I also had a Great Cormorant and Little Terns.
There were Gray Herons on the beach and Little Egrets. There was also
Black-headed Weavers at the lake which had been introduced from Africa but are
now countable.
 |
| Common Pochard drake in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Female Black-headed Weaver in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Male Black-headed Weaver in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| European Red-rumped Swallow in Faro, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
Next, I was off to Etar de
Vilamoura (a sewage treatment plant with hides and trails of the surrounding
wetlands) in Quarteira. Here I saw my lifer Red-crested Pochards. There were
also more Common Pochards and 4 Ferruginous Ducks. There was also Eurasian
Moorhen and my lifer Western Swamphen. I had seen Grey-headed Swamphen in
Thailand. I never can get over how big those Swamphens are. Western Swamphens
really declined due to habitat loss and hunting but the population is slowly
recovering in Portugal with 65 breeding pairs. Here I got to see a Little
Ringed Plover mixed in with the Common Ringed Plovers. They really are tiny!
There were a few Common Reed Warblers, Cetti’s Warbler and Sardinian Warblers
and more Black Weavers and Black-winged Stilts. I also got to see my lifer
Common Nightingale as it fed its young. There was also Purple Herons here along
with Gray Herons, Great Crested Grebes, Western Marsh Harriers with young and
Eurasian Kestrels just to name a few. It was a lovely spot with bird hides and
only one other gentleman in it.
 |
| Red-crested Pochard with mixed duck flock in Quateira, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
Ferruginous Duck with Common Pochard in Quateira, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting
|
 |
| Little Grebe with chicks on back in Quateira, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
Little Ringed Plover with chicks on back in Quateira, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting
|
 |
| Common Nightingale in Quateira, PT - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
The next morning, I was off
back to Castro Verde in search of Bustards. Upon arrival I had Eurasian
Griffons and Short-toed Snake-Eagles flying over.
 |
| Short-toed Snake-Eagle in Castro Verde, PT - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
In São Marcos da Ataboeira I
spotted 14 Great Bustards on the side of the road and all were males and not a
million miles away. It was an incredible sight! They are the largest flying birds in Europe. These birds display on leks, like our Grouse do. They were not displaying this late in the year
but were just strutting and standing and feeding in the field. I so wish I
could have seen them do their visually stunning courtship display. They flip
their tails around showing only their white feathers making them look like a
giant snowball. They puff out their chests and throat sacs. I was happy to get
some record shots of them as they were not too far away. There are just over
1400 birds in Portugal. They are endangered. Human disturbance is the biggest
threat to this species and loss of grassland habitat. Intensive agriculture is
negatively impacting both the Great and Little Bustard. Sadly, hunting of Great Bustards
still occurs and despite their size get electrocuted by cables often in flight.
There were also Carrion Crows, Montagu’s Harriers and Lesser Kestrels in the
same field.




 |
| Endangered Great Bustards in Castro Verde, Portugal - Photos: Melissa Hafting |
Next, I went to Benviúda. Here I saw my lifer Red-legged Partridge while
walking the roads of nearby fields and had more Common Quails doing their
distinctive calls. Lots of White Storks were feeding in the fields and nesting
along the roads. At Cortiçois I had several Calandra
Larks doing flight displays and singing their beautiful song. I also saw another European Roller.
 |
| Calandra Lark in Castro Verde, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
Near to
Rolão, I had 2 Spanish Eagles and 4
Eurasian Griffons riding the thermals there were also a lot of Spotless
Starlings. There was a couple European Bee-Eaters by the side of the road who
stayed still long enough for a photo. Near to Tacões, I saw my lifer Iberian Gray Shrikes and their long tails
were striking.
 |
| Iberian Gray Shrike in Tacões, Portugal - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
I had been driving all day searching for
Little Bustards and it was getting super-hot. I had followed up on an eBird
report by a German birder between Penilhos and the town of Romeiras. When I got out of the car, I didn’t see any
but within 10 mins heard its distinctive “prrt” call. They sound super unique.
While waiting for the Little Bustard to come into view in the intense afternoon
heat (with no shade about) I had a huge Cinereous Vulture fly over me quite low
with 20 Eurasian Griffons. I was able to get a photo of the Cinereous too. Cinereous
Vultures are one of the largest birds of prey with 3m wingspans and heavy
weighing up to 31 lbs. They have declined precipitously due to bait poisoning
of other species that they eat. They are also trapped and poached, especially in China and Russia. Habitat loss is also contributing to their decline.
 |
| Cinereous Vulture flying over me in Beja County, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
 |
| Eurasian Griffon flying over in Beja County, PT - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
There were Bee-eaters, Black Kites, Common Hoopoes, Lesser Kestrels, Common Ravens, Calandra
Larks and Common Quails to keep me company, while I waited. Even with a summer
hat and sunscreen I felt my skin cooking but 2 hours later the Little Bustard
emerged from the grasses and when it emerged another started calling in the
same field. I am still amazed how well these birds can totally hide in short
grass. With my scope I couldn’t find it even though I heard it calling
relatively close. There was too much heat haze for any decent photos so just
watched it in my scope. It is a very unique handsome bird but didn’t give me
the same thrill as the imposing Great Bustard which reminds me of a hybrid
between a rhea, sage-grouse and ostrich. I was really glad to have seen both
bustards and that was the main reason I came to Portugal. I wish I could have
seen the Little Bustards do their hopping lek display but it was too late in
the year for that. Little Bustards are declining rapidly across their range due
to grassland habitat loss. They are extremely sensitive to disturbance.
On my way back to the hotel in Albufeira, near
Aipo, I stopped and photographed a White Stork in their large nest. They may be
so common there but to me it was such a cool sight and I was relieved after
such a long day searching for bustards in the heat. While stopped a Booted
Eagle flew over with 20 Eurasian Griffons.
 |
| White Stork at nest with House Sparrows nest building in its nest - Photo: Melissa Hafting |
The next morning, I was tired but got up at 5
am and drove towards the Andalusia region of Spain. The goal was to make it to the beautiful town of
Seville which was only 2.5 hours away. In Loulé in Portugal I had my first Alpine Swift they
are visually distinctive with their white bellies and chins. At Castro Marim on
the border, I saw a Great Cormorant, Flamingo, Common Shelducks and Little
Egrets.
When I crossed the Guadiana International
Bridge and Guadiana River I was in the Andalusia region of Spain. I had
Eurasian Spoonbills, Yellow-legged Gulls and White Storks and Greater Flamingos
and lots of Black Kites.
I didn’t plan to do any hard-core birding in
Spain but just wanted to visit the country for a first time. It was a visually
stunning city. Seville had these beautiful Jacaranda trees with purple flowers
in bloom that made the city very romantic. There were also plenty of orange trees.
 |
Jacaranda Trees in bloom in Seville
|
The boats on the Guadalquivir River reminded me a bit of Paris. In Seville while walking around the
beautiful Royal Gardens of the Royal Alcázar Palace. I was sure glad I bought my tickets in advance, since it was completely sold out.
 |
| A snapshot of a small portion of the huge Royal Alcázar Palace gardens |
I had not seen these birds in Portugal. There were
also Pallid Swifts, Common Swifts, Red-Rumped Swallows, Mallards, Blackbirds,
Gray Herons, Jackdaws, Spotless Starlings, Wood-Pigeons and Lesser Kestrels. I was happy to see tons of Monk Parakeets and Rose-Ringed Parakeets everywhere! The parakeets are countable here too, which was cool.
I enjoyed walking around the city and
visiting the various sites like the Plaza de España and eating tapas, watching Flamenco and drinking wine.
 |
| Flamenco dancer in Sevilla, ES |
 |
The famous Plaza de España in Sevilla, ES
|
Everyone seemed
very friendly in this town. It is the hottest city in Europe and it was very humid. I noticed the huge increase in traffic in
the city and the way people drove here was far from the relaxed way people
drove in Portugal. It was a nice visit to this part of Southern
Europe. I was now off to visit Norway the very next day.
Part 2 to be continued.
Comments
Post a Comment