I got the 1st printed copy of my book and I was humbled to get some more editorial reviews on my book from Ornithologist J. Drew Lanham and other birders!

I recently got the first printed copy of my book! I really did cry holding it physically in my hands for the first time. I am very proud of the book and so wish my father and mother lived to see it. My dad who knew of the book was so excited for it. It is bittersweet I couldn't share the first printed copy with him. I was incredibly nervous to see the book in print, since it was my first book, I didn't know what to expect. It was surreal I tell you. The book really came out great in my opinion and was worth all the hard work. I can't wait until it is available in stores this June 18th. I may fall over when I walk into the bookstore and see it on the shelves. I really hope everyone who buys (or loans from the library) and reads a copy, enjoys it too. I also hope it helps those who are grieving or depressed and shows how birds are worth saving and how much joy and healing they can bring into our lives and how they ultimately make our life better. 

Close up photo of the physical printed copy of my first book! - Photo: Melissa Hafting

A sneak peek at the inside of my book “Dare to Bird” - Photos: Rocky Mountain Books/Grace Gorman

I was also honoured to get this lovely review on my book by Black Ornithologist J. Drew Lanham. He is a true inspiration to me. He writes poetry like in his new book Joy is the Justice We Give Ourselves but also has done so much to speak out about the difficulties and racism that Black People face out in the field in birding and what needs to change in order to make the hobby more inclusive. (In the book I talk about the trials I have had to deal with because of the colour of my skin as well in this field). I was truly touched by Drew's words about my book!

"Dare to Bird, dares to challenge us to move beyond the politically subjected "colorblind" excuse for not celebrating human diversity and asks us to see the same  colorful world behind the bins as we see beyond the lens; to celebrate ourselves as part of a wider field of view. Inclusion matters ecologically and sociologically and author Melissa "BC Birdergirl" Hafting, crafts conversations that bring joy, bird by bird, in a book that's  as much a work about hope for humanity as it is aspirations for the things with feathers. "
- J. Drew Lanham, ornithologist, poet and author.

Faraaz Abdool a Trinidadian bird book author also wrote really touching words:

“An ally to everyone who has ever experienced discrimination while birding, Melissa Hafting’s Dare to Bird is a fascinating window into the ebb and flow of collective joy and grief. These murmurations of our own psyches are illustrated by Melissa’s lived experience and the countless parallels she draws between our existence and that of the birds. Her absolutely stunning photography is the perfect complement, giving all of us the opportunity to be captivated by the same sights she shared with her closest companions.” —Faraaz Abdool, wildlife photographer, speaker, birding guide and environmental advocate; author of Casual Birding in Trinidad & Tobago


I am overcome with emotion to know that so many esteemed birders like my book! It is always nerve wracking exposing your work to the world this way and it means so much to me that people like it so far!

You can read all the reviews and more that will be added at the publisher’s link and also at Amazon (under Editorial Reviews)


My book is finally printed! - Photo: Rocky Mountain Books/Grace Gorman

The book comes out June 18, 2024  and will be available in all local bookstores, libraries, and also online at Amazon.ca  and Chapters/Indigo and in the US at Barnes and Nobles and at Amazon.com 

Comments

  1. God girl this looks so good! I love the inside of the book so sophisticated and professional. Happy for you. I ordered my copy from Indigo!!!!!!!!! Beautiful words by Drew I like his work and remember when 9 rules for the black birdwatcher came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to tell you Melissa that as a woman birder of color you really inspire me. I hope to meet you in the field. There are very few women like you my age so adept at birding I'm in awe of your skill and kindess and genorosity to other birders especially beginner birders you are always patient with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Dowitcher Identification

Hawk Identification Tips from every angle (Sharpie vs Cooper and Red-tailed Subspecies)

STINT IDENTIFICATION

*Updated - The most famous Red-tailed Hawk is eating fish on the ground just like a Bald Eagle!

My First Mother's Day Without My Mother