The Elusive Horned Puffin Of Smith Island

On Wednesday my friend Eric Ellingson invited me out on his boat to go look for the Horned Puffins (apparently there are 2 there now and possibly breeding) hanging around at Smith Island. I guess Eric took sympathy on me for dipping so many times on this bird. I have never photographed this species so was really anxious to see it. I hadn't seen Eric in years due to COVID restrictions so it was so nice to spend time with him and his lovely wife. 

As I was going out my friend Ryan Merill texted me that a Nazca Booby was seen early this morning riding a barge. Ryan had seen it from land in Seattle with a scope but by the time we had launched it had left the barge it was sitting on. There had been no sightings now for an hour. We plowed on to Smith Island and saw many great birds like Common Murres, hundreds of Heermann's Gulls, Rhinoceros Auklets, Red-necked Phalaropes and Pigeon Guillemots and Red-necked Grebes. When we got to Smith Island I noticed there was way fewer Tufted Puffins than on my previous visit where I had 38 birds. This time I only ended up with 12. After puttering around a bit on this gorgeous, hot but calm day, I noticed a bird flying fast towards us in the bright sun. It was coming from the island where the Tufted Puffins nest but I didn't see it exit a burrow. The large yellow bill I thought I saw caught my eye but it was too fast to be 100% certain. We watched the bird land and dive almost immediately far in front of us. A few mins later it popped back up and it's glaring white face and yellow bill just stuck out like a sore thumb. There was a US Fish and Wildlife Boat present counting all the endangered Tufted Puffins at the site.

Horned Puffin at Smith Island, WA - Photos: Melissa Hafting

The bird was most cooperative as it fished. We cut the engine and just watched it. It scratched its head and dove and looked adorable. This bird is not seen there many days I truly wonder where it goes. When it is seen it seems to prefer to stick to the north side of the island. Apparently some people have seen it courting a Tufted Puffin but we did not see any such thing. It would be a first hybrid record if they did successfully breed. The Tufted Puffins to me are the prettiest Puffins in NA and it is always a joy to see them. It is really cool to me that I got to see all 3 species of Puffins in the same year!

Tufted Puffin at Smith Island, WA - Photo: Melissa Hafting

Rhinoceros Auklet at Smith Island - Photo: Melissa Hafting

1 of hundreds of Heermann's Gulls at Smith Island - Photo: Melissa Hafting

Brandt's Cormorant at Smith Island - Photo: Melissa Hafting

On the way back to the marina we had a small flock of cute Common Terns sitting on kelp. I checked all 8 of them for Arctic as I've had this species in August in nearby Vancouver, BC.

Common Terns at Smith Island, WA - Photos: Melissa Hafting

Ryan Merrill texted me to let me know that the Nazca Booby was back on the barge and heading our way. He was very happy for me that I got the Horned Puffin since I had dipped with him when we went together last month. He was trying to help me get the Nazca Booby too as it was slowly coming our way. We picked up friend Alex Patia who really wanted to see this bird for a lifer and headed for the barge. When we finally intersected with the barge we were super excited. There was a whale watching boat trying to see the Booby too and we waved to each other. Sadly as the barge got closer and closer we searched all around the barge but could not find any Nazca Booby sitting on it...only gulls.

The booby-less Barge south of Anacortes, WA - Photos: Melissa Hafting

It reminded me of my 2018 trip to San Diego to see 2 Nazca Boobies sitting on a buoy. Back then I had to rent my own boat and drive it out to the Nazcas. You can read about that cool adventure HERE

Nazca Boobies in San Diego - Photo: Melissa Hafting

Anyways, we didn't see the Nazca despite searching all around for it but simply could not find it. On our search we went by Bird Rocks and saw a cute Sea Otter (rare in these parts) and several Harbour Seals and Sea Lions. There was also Harbour Porpoises here, Black Turnstones and Black Oystercatchers and baby Glaucous-winged Gulls.

Sea Otter at Bird Rocks, WA - Photo: Melissa Hafting

Next we went to Williamson Rocks and found a rare Wandering Tattler and some Surfbirds. We also saw nesting Double-crested and Pelagic Cormorants with Chicks! There was also Harbour Porpoises and Seals abound.

Pelagic Cormorant nest with young at Williamson Rocks in Skagit, WA - Photo: Melissa Hafting

Wandering Tattler and Surfbird at Williamson Rocks - Photos: Melissa Hafting

It is unfortunate that the Nazca didn't sit on the ship all the way to Canada  (it was en route to Texada Island) like so many of us hoped. Who knows where it will show up next? This bird was different to the one my friend Tasli Shaw recently found. The one she found was a sub-adult while this one was a full adult. It seems that Nazcas are increasing in WA and BC waters most likely due to climate change. It used to be a bird that was virtually unheard of here and now BC has 3 confirmed records and WA also. You can read more about this HERE

It really was a great day with nice people and I'm very grateful to Eric for taking me out to see this stunning Horned Puffin.

Comments

  1. your horned puffin shots are just beautiful! congratulations Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stunning photography as usual and your persistence paid off way to stay at it Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful photos and amazing to see so many birds and wildlife especially my favourite sea otters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your determination and perseverance to see the birds you want to see. Most people would give up after dipping but you always find a way I guess that is why they call you Birdergirl. You deserve it though after all the time you put in to help others in this birding community. Your photos are phenomenal as usual. What a beautiful bird Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much you know me i never give up lol

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photography Melissa. Great light and details. I know you wanted to get shots of these Horned Puffins for years. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wanted to add the Sea Otter is real cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks i was super lucky it was flat calm and sunny and good weather i have waited years to get a pic yep and ya those otters are adorable

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Dowitcher Identification

Hawk Identification Tips from every angle (Sharpie vs Cooper and Red-tailed Subspecies)

STINT IDENTIFICATION

*Updated - The most famous Red-tailed Hawk is eating fish on the ground just like a Bald Eagle!

*UPDATED* The First Ever Black Birders Week May 31-June 5th