Hand feeding a Steller's Jay

On Wednesday I hiked up with my friend Shou to Bowen Lookout on Cypress Mountain to see some Canada (Gray) Jays and feed them. While I had my hand out and was busy feeding 6 Canada Jays, this beautiful Steller's Jay came and landed on my hand. If only I could have taken a picture of myself ! haha

Seller's Jay in West Vancouver - Photo: Melissa Hafting

This has never happened to me before and it was a real thrill. I love the Canada Jays and they were worth the hike, feeding those cute birds is a highlight every time. The sounds they make and how smart they are is fascinating. However, having a new bird like a normally shy Steller's Jay on my hand is pretty special. They usually stay close to you when I'm feeding but never everdare to come close enough to jump on my hand. Gotta appreciate the simple joys of life, especially in today's times. I keep a list of all the birds that have fed on my hand and so far it includes Red-winged Blackbird, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Canada Jay, Clark's Nutcracker, Song Sparrow, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Brown-headed Cowbird, Chestnut-backed and Black-capped Chickadee....

I wonder what will be next!

On another note when I hiked up there I delighted in eating the many blueberries and I saw many nice birds including Red Crossbills, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Red-breasted Sapsuckers, Northern Flicker, Americam Robin, Pine Siskin, Dark-eyed Junco, Fox Sparrow, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Common Raven, Steller's Jay,Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Hermit Thrush, Song Sparrow, Cedar Waxwing, Townsend's and Mac Warblers. I did note that an idiot left a huge bag of trash on the trail with food in it despite seeing the signs for "bear in area." This is so bad and not only disrespectful to the environment but can attract bears and make it dangerous for others travelling the trails and the poor bear will always pay the ultimate price.  So just a reminder to pack out whatever you pack in!

Canada Jay - Photo: Melissa Hafting


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Dowitcher Identification

Hawk Identification Tips from every angle (Sharpie vs Cooper and Red-tailed Subspecies)

STINT IDENTIFICATION

*Updated - The most famous Red-tailed Hawk is eating fish on the ground just like a Bald Eagle!

*UPDATED* The First Ever Black Birders Week May 31-June 5th